Top mistakes when detailing a car
A lot of car owners take great pride in taking care of their own vehicles, whether that be fixing the powertrain or customizing it to their liking. If you enjoy detailing your vehicle, it may seem like second nature to just do what you’ve always known. We have a few tips for you to help you avoid some of the top mistakes when detailing a car!
- Don’t forget protective gear. This may seem like something you can skip, but you shouldn’t. the chemicals used to clean and detail vehicles can do harm to your skin or lungs.
- Use car soap instead of dish soap. Everyone has dish soap on hand, but few people have soap specifically for washing cars. Using dish soap can leave an unappealing residue behind and can damage the paint as well.
- Skip the clay scratch remover. Using clay to remove scratches may be a good idea in some situations, but not when removing scratches from your car. Since clay is an abrasive, it can further damage the paint.
- Don’t use all-purpose cleaners. All-purpose cleaners may work great in your kitchen, but they don’t work so well with vehicle interior materials. Opt for a cleaner specifically designed for the interior of a car.
- Careful where you wax your vehicle. Wax works wonders, but not if you get it on the plastic. Getting wax on the plastic trim can discolor it permanently, so be sure to keep the wax away from there.
- Wash the wheels first. It makes sense to start from the top down, which is why many people wash their wheels last. However, the wheels have a lot of dirt and grim build up in the walls and this can get all over the areas you’ve already cleaned, so it’s best to wash these first.
Interested in learning more car care tips and tricks? Get in touch with our team or check out the rest of our blog! Additionally, you can schedule a service appointment with us if you’re not into detailing your vehicle yourself!